- Caught the fantastic NXT pay-per-view last week. Loved it. I haven’t seen that much energy at a show in a long time, certainly not in the big leagues. WWE needs to step up its game. The farm league should not be a better product than the so-called professionals. I didn’t even bother with Tables, Ladders, Chairs…and Stairs the other day. No title match and Kane v Ryback? Please. I’ll wait for the Rumble. NXT is like a great indie band and the WWE is a rickety bunch of old cronies, creaking around the stage and counting their millions. WWE are the Rolling Stones circa 2014. Some people pay good money to see both. Oh well. The world is a strange place.
- I’m generally a fan of what Adam Silver has done since he took over as NBA commish almost a year ago, but I have a couple of issues. First, I don’t like the NBA logo on the back of the jerseys. I can’t get used to it. I get that they want to free up some space on the front for advertising space. I don’t like the gold tab on the neck to indicate that the franchise has won a championship. I’m cool with the Spurs, Lakers, Bulls, Pistons, Mavs, Heat etc. having it – teams that have won something recently. But when I watch a Wizards-Hawks game and both teams have gold tabs, I’m a little put off and I find myself going to the Internet to figure out exactly when they won their titles. I feel like Silver has made some changes simply to mark his territory. I don’t like changes simply for the sake of change. But I can’t deny that even in this small time period he has improved the overall quality of the game. Plus he doesn’t seem to rule with an iron fist like Darth Stern did. Stern seemed to make a lot of decisions with his ego in mind, and I feel like Silver is generally putting aside his own agenda in favor of the betterment of the league. Can’t complain about that.
- Fuck Foodies. If you have ever called yourself a Foodie, be it in print, online or in person, please stay out of my life. You are a pretentious twat and you’re 1000% less important than you think you are.
- To the dullards that took selfies out the front of the siege in Sydney yesterday: kill yourself immediately. You are not fit to be part of society.
- I have cut sugar out of my diet and my alcohol intake is basically zero these days. This might explain the anger in the above statements but I was already pretty angry to begin with. I’ve lost 12 pounds so far and after feeling horrible for about a week I feel pretty good now. I don’t crave sugar at all and I don’t miss it one bit. I’ve started an exercise regimen in the mornings and I’m enjoying it. I don’t really miss beer either. I had a couple on the weekend and was reminded of my new outlook. The beer didn’t taste as good as it used to. My tastes have clearly shifted since ditching the sugar and booze. I never thought I could go without beer. I thought I’d always drink it. But I do feel better without it, there’s no denying that. Socially it’s been a bit of a challenge, and now I know how my wife feels. She doesn’t drink and every time we’re out with friends there is the inevitable question as to why she isn’t drinking. We’ve known many of these people for twenty years yet she still gets asked the same question.
- Heard the new Faith No More single. Not a fan. Maybe it will grow on me, but I doubt it.
- CM Punk is now a UFC fighter. OK. Wasn’t expecting that one. I’ll watch all his fights, I’m just not sure how many that will actually be. Good for him though. I’m a fan.
- I’m sticking with my preseason prediction: Bulls-Spurs finals. I like what the Warrior’s have done, and I wouldn’t mind seeing them win it all, but I’m not convinced they could beat my Spurs in a playoff series. Like anything with San Antonio, rest and health will be key. I’m not sure they could beat the Thunder in a series either.
- Can’t wait to see Paul Thomas Anderson’s new film, Inherent Vice. Debating whether I’ll read the book before I see it. The preview makes it seem like a comedy though. Hmm.
- Related to above, I am now used to drinking coffee without sugar. It took a while, but I think I’m at a place now where it doesn’t taste like heated mud. And the thing is, now I am seeing which cafe’s actually make a good coffee. Before I was a mocha drinker, which is basically a hot chocolate with some coffee added. The coffee was masked by the chocolate. Now, it has nowhere to hide.